Monday, February 24, 2020

The Pink Blob in the Middle is My Rental Car

I arrived early in the afternoon here yesterday on Anguilla, a direct flight on United.  It's an "in season" thing, the direct flight.  Saves several hours travel time, love it.   Got on the ferry and had a glorious ride over here.

THe ferry, love it! But the ferry boat porter, not so much.  There's a sign (I should have taken a picture) stating that THE PORTERS ARE NOT EMPLOYEES and THEY WORK FOR TIPS!.  Practical application : the porter here is neither an employee nor does he work, but he does expect to be compensated, and he is not shy about informing you of that.  He appeared taken aback when I responded "you gotta carry the f&#in' bag to get paid, sport".

You may think of me an ambassador at large to the small time con men of the world.

That little pinkish blob in the 
middle, that's my rental car.

Moving on.

I rented a car here for the first time. I usually use a cab.  I rented from Andy's on the beach.  I tell you that so if you come here, you DON'T rent from Andy's.  I reserved a compact.  It's a tiny Nissan called a March.  That's not an issue.  This particular March is the issue.
T

 There's a term here, "island car".  It means it's a beater that serves your basic transportation needs.  My Virgin Gorda Jeep was a high line island car.  Not when I bought it, but when I was done with it, it was high line.  "Mint", one restaurant owner called it.  Thanks, but it was island car mint.

This car is the exact opposite.


 It's filthy, inside and out.  It rattles all the time.  Three wheels match.  It had A/C at some time in its past.  It has a monstrous aftermarket radio and amplifier.  They don't work, the on/off button is long gone and it emits a continuous not too loud static  noise.  Not too loud unless you put the car in reverse, then it's a REALLY loud static noise, accompanied by beeping like delivery trucks beep.
Oh, yeah, it's right hand drive.  Big burn hole in
the driver's seat.  Thick rubber steering wheel cover,
bet you wish you had one of those.  Finally, the
giant mystery button right of the steering wheel. Swanky.






  
The March starts stops and steers well.  There's an enormous button that has been screwed on the dashboard and trails a wire that goes out the door to the front.  I think it's for the horn, but I'm not keen on experimenting with this one.

I have provided photographic evidence.  The exterior color is "Salmon Vomit".  The interior is "Seriously Filthy".
The side with the matching wheels and the 
shadow of me exclaiming in horror at the color

After all that, it's pretty fun.  Cruises awesome at 55.  KPH.  About 30 in USA speed.  People beep and pass me quite a bit.  I'm ok with that.

It is an island car.

1 comment:

Steve said...

I'm sorry the formatting is f'd up. The publisher doesn't like my travel computer.

--Steve