Sunday, April 5, 2020

If You Skeered...

There was a story in the local e-news a day or two ago about a murder-suicide that killed a Lockport
couple.  They were in their 50's.  It appears that they were afraid they had contracted COVID-19.

I learned a new term, the hard way, last summer.  The term is "permanent solution to a temporary problem".  That seems to be what occurred with the Lockport couple.

During this scourge, it is more important than usual to be on the lookout for threats to our collective mental health.  It has been difficult to sequester ourselves these past weeks, and it isn't getting any easier.  The forecast is more of the same.  Worse, maybe.

TV talks to us.  Talking back to the TV isn't a good sign!

 I would like to insert a brief diversion here in the form of a personal message to my wife and my son.  Hollering at the governor on TV is not the same as talking to the TV.  Hollering at the governor on TV is a healthy expression of he's a jerk and I have to say so in a safe environment, occasionally at higher than normal volume, and it is cathartic.  

I'm glad we cleared that up.

Back to the serious matter here: talk to your family, talk to your friends, offer encouragement, try to be understanding.  It's good for you, too!  Express yourself!  My son had a sticker from a Nashville souvenir shop  on the wall in his dorm a few years back: "If you skeered, say you skeered".

I think we're all at least a little bit skeered right now. If we share the burden - yours and mine - we will all handle it better.

Reach out.

No comments: