Tuesday, January 20, 2009

I've Got the Bug


I did not pay attention to any previous inaugurations, so I don’t have anything to which I can compare today. I don’t believe, however, that America has ever experienced anything quite like this. Today, I felt physically pained that I was not at the inauguration. It felt like I was missing out on something of which I was genuinely a part. He’s my President – I should be there! I felt like it was Jeff Kastel’s bar mitzvah all over again – the biggest party of middle school with all my friends in attendance, but I couldn’t go. I was so jealous today of everyone on the Mall that I could taste it. It wasn’t a bitter taste; rather, it tasted like matzah ball soup.

The inauguration of the first African American president is a big deal. However, what is astounding, and what I don’t think has been given nearly enough attention, is that today was the inauguration of a President who mobilized an entire apathetic generation. Young people started discussing politics passionately. We knew we had a voice, we just never had a reason to use it.

My dad asked me last Friday about My Plan. Ah yes, I am at that age where everyone shakes off the last remnants of the college life-style and starts making important life decisions, taking the next step, moving on and moving up. Well, I didn’t have a plan before this election season, but if I had I would have surely thrown it out the window. The campaign and election stirred many hearts but this year’s politics combined with my new-found addiction for episodes of The West Wing, have had a profound effect on me. Yes, I too have been infected with that virulent optimism and sense of social responsibility that usually only strikes before the age of 16. Suddenly, and against everything I thought I knew about myself, I want to make a difference, and not just by buying those reusable bags in the checkout line at Jewel or installing halogen bulbs in all my light fixtures!


If you don’t know me, let me be honest here. I’m pretty self-involved. Trust me, if this fever has hit even me, it means it might be an epidemic.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I totally get what you're saying Amy, and I believe the next step is pretty obvious. I think we should start a fight club.

PURPLE FLAG ON SATURDAY said...

Why couldn't you go to the Bar Mitzvah?

BHO has a gift in that he speaks to people, not at them. I think it's very exciting, and I believe you've captured it well, BHO's run to the White House has energized many people.

I hope (you and ) they don't lose the sparkle and enthusiasm.