Friday, January 30, 2009

Super Bowl : Wanna Bet?

The biggest wagering day of the year is this Sunday, the Super Bowl. People who don't give a hoot about pro football will be gathering to party and tuning in to watch celebrated commercials, a highly touted halftime show ( Janet Jackson, need I say more?), and a little football.

This year's game features the Pittsburgh Steelers and the Arizona Cardinals. Stifle the yawn, please, and break out the bankroll. There is plenty to get excited about. There are prop bets, and lots of 'em. Bodog has over 200 prop bets--200!


First, you can bet on the over and under for the National Anthem. We lost last year, going with the under. I knew we were cooked when it started with a long "oh whoa oh whoa saaaaaay, can you seeeeeeeee...". It's Jennifer Hudson singing this year, and the over and under is 1:54. I'm going with over.

Halftime entertainment is Bruce Springsteen. It's 2:1 that his first song is Born to Run, Glory Days is 4:1, and I'm On Fire is 12:1. Born in the USA is the chalky chalk at 21:20. I can hear the opening notes already...

You could have bet on how many planes will be in the pre-game flyover. I couldn't find this prop as the week proceeded. A count of 2 or fewer is 6:1 (when has there every been a 2 plane flyover? This is for if the Stealth comes alone), 6 or more is 2:1. The game's in Tampa, so the planes will probably come from Pensacola, and my guess is 5, which is the chalk at 5:4.
There's bets on whether each of the QB's will throw a TD or and INT first, who will score the first TD for each team, how many rushing yards will the backs accumulate, how many yards will their first run get and more. Troy Polomalu, the displaced Hawaiian who plays for Pittsburgh, is prominent in props as a defender and as a scoring threat.

Oh, yeah, there's a football game. The Steelers are favored by 7, if you want the boring stuff.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hear what you're saying with the wagering; that can become more intense than the game. I brought my kids to a Superbowl party last year, (am I allowed to say that or should I have said "the big game"?) Now to the casual observer, or the nosy neighbor, it was probably a safe bet that this was going to be a harmless gathering of friends looking for a tasty taco dip. Don't let appearances fool you; the chaos began with the National Anthem. Normally during a football game, if one is away from the group and hears screaming coming from the room with the TV, it's reasonable to assume that the team scored, or fumbled, or intercepted. Imagine my confusion when the screaming started before the coin toss. This year, I will be better prepared, and may even place a few bets of my own.

PURPLE FLAG ON SATURDAY said...

Pools, squares, props...You don't need to follow football too closely to have fun with these bets. I think that, plus the commercials, make this a great party day.

I'm pretty sure that the opening song at halftime will be Born in the USA.