Thursday, November 13, 2008

Out With the Scoundrel

Each time that I have witnessed a changing of the guard in the White House, I have experienced a bit of an emotional charge. Watching the exit of the outgoing president and his wife and family (if there was one) has created a little pang of remorse, as I have seen this fellow almost daily for four or more years and he and his loved ones are about to stride off into the sunset. He has devoted years of service to all of us, made decisions popular and not, and become more familiar than almost anyone. If you haven't guessed, I am very, very bad at saying goodbye.

This time around I will have no feeling of remorse, none.

No president in my recall has been more vigorously or cruelly lampooned than George W. Bush. Each president has been the subject of jokes, comedic impressions, political satire and spoofing. None have been ripped with less restraint than has "W".

None has deserved it more.

I love Letterman's film clips of W babbling nonsensically, presented in counterpoint to great oration. Likewise I am thrilled when Frank Caliendo tees it up on Mr. Bush and vilifies the president. I am gratified when just about anyone makes fun of W, tells a joke about him, draws a mean cartoon, anything. This seems a bit irrational, an overreaction perhaps.

I can't help it. George Bush has presided over eight of the most debilitating years that the USA has seen since World War II. No one has been held accountable under his charge. George's mumblespeak and myopic view of the degradation of America's quality of life during his regime are overshadowed only by the dearth of leadership that is the hallmark of his administration. John Kerry's weak opposition in the '04 election is the answer to the "how did he get re-elected" question. The legacy of W's presidency is certain to be unkind at best.

There was a short feature on TV about wecoming president-elect Obama to the White House. I watched W reminisce about how he had met with Bill Clinton eight years ago, saying he'd even called Bill to chat about it. Arrogant turd, we're drowning out here in the backwash of your incompetency while you're dreamily reminiscing!

So when George and Laura toss the keys to 1600 Pennsylania Avenue to the Obama family, I will be pleased to see him go. If the new president had to buy the White House, he'd be getting a deal on devalued real estate but he'd have trouble getting credit. W has left us something by which to remember the Bush presidency, that being the mountain of debt that you and I and our kids and their kids will be grappling with for decades to come.

This time, I have no trouble with good-bye.

No comments: