Wednesday, April 22, 2009

Ugh.

Since my dad cheated and wrote about American Idol, and because I'm sick today and feeling particularly sorry for myself, here is my contribution to the Commuter Week posts:

I commute between Chicago, the city in which I live, to Las Vegas, the city in which I work, each Monday and Friday. I am spending about 7.5 hours in a plane each week. Add to that number the 45 minutes between Midway and my apartment (once on Monday, once on Friday), and the 30 minutes between McCarran and the client site (once on Monday, once on Friday), plus the 20 minutes between my hotel and the client (my daily commute…eight times per week), and you have a total weekly commute time of 12 hours and 40 minutes. Over the last seven months, I have spent approximately 355 hours commuting, roughly equivalent to two full weeks of my life.

In the same time period, my father has spent just over a day and a half commuting to and from work.

If I had been working in the office during this time, I would have had to face a 30 minute door-to-desk commute twice per day. That adds up to just under 6 days of commute time. I would like 8 days of my life back, please.

If my math is wrong, please forgive me and look the other way. I'm trying to type this quickly since I'm at work right now and should be working, not blogging. My employer can subtract five minutes from the 8 days I am requesting be refunded to my life. That is all.

2 comments:

PURPLE FLAG ON SATURDAY said...

Work = good.
Flying = good.
Vegas = good.
Flying to Vegas = good.
Flying to Vegas to Work too Long = not so good.

you need a vacation

at home

Amy said...

Work is good. The rest of your theorem is flawed:

Flying sucks. I hate Las Vegas and will likely never come back. Four hours on a plane to and from Vegas when you are going for work and everyone else is going for fun is pure torture.

Having a meeting in which the project manager says "There is currently no end in sight" is a really great way to ruin the rest of my week.