Friday, September 19, 2008

Football Picks, Week 4

I'm starting out this week with a record of 10-13. If I were a big league pitcher, a 10-13 record right now would mean that I could shop for a multi-million dollar long term contract for my meager skills. Since I work for a living and this is a hobby, I need to get cookin'. Here goes.
Ohio +11@ Northwestern
Ohio comes to Evanston with an 0-3 record and a highly aggravated state of mind, having lost to Wyoming by a single point, then giving powerhouse Ohio State a run for its money before knuckling under 26-14 and then losing a tough one to Central Michigan, 31-28. My beloved Wildcats are 3-0 and on an upswing, but they haven't really looked like they've put everything together yet. Forgive me, 'Cat Nation, I'm taking the points.
Wyoming @ BYU -28.5
Lots of points to give, but the Mormons beat the daylights out of UCLA last weekend, 59-0. Wyoming hasn't played this caliber of opponent yet. They're going to get clobbered.
Rutgers @ Navy +6
Rutgers, without graduated star running back Ray Rice, has been whupped by Fresno State and double whupped by NC State so far this year. The Middies have beaten cupcake Towson and lost to Ball State and Duke. With the points, it's Navy...and no one ever shed a tear for dear old Rutgers.
Iowa +1 @ Pittsburgh
Dave Wannstedt, the stammering former Chicago Bears coach, leads Pitt, who has lost to Bowling Green and beaten the Buffalo Bulls. The Hawkeyes have rolled over Maine, Florida International and screwed me with the last minute safety en route to a victory over intrastate rival Iowa State. I think Iowa's for real, so they're my pick.
Boise State @ Oregon Ducks -11
Boise State, 2-0, has wins over Idaho State and Bowling Green. The Ducks beat Washington 44-10 in game 1, beat Utah State 66-24 in week 2, and beat Purdue in OT, 32-26. The Ducks also have their #1 and #2 QB's on the injured list. I think that QB3 will have enough resources to cover the points.
Central Michigan @ Purdue -10.5
I was schooled last week by the Boilermakers. They are a good team, they're angry about last week, they're at home and that's enough to cover the points here.
South Florida -28 @ Florida International
The Bulls of South Florida are mui bien. Florida International is mui crappy. The Bulls also have a pretty cool logo on their helmets, though it just doesn't say "Flahriddah" to me. They're gonna kick the snot out of FLint'l, who is, by the way, the Golden Panthers.

No comments: