Friday, October 10, 2008

Big Exciting Super Terrific Football Weekend

Big, big, big week for football. Did I say big week? Big week. I’m stuck at 6 games under .500 on the season, and I made absolutely no progress last week in catching up.

Louisville –6 ½ @ Memphis
Louisville has been one of those “stay away” teams this year. They look good to start, then they look not so good, then there’s flashes of excitement, then there’s periods of high sucknicity. Memphis is the team I’m betting on, actually, betting against. They’re 3-3, having lost to the three decent teams they’ve played and beaten the three overmatched teams that wandered into their range. Heads up: Friday night game!

Iowa –5 ½ @ Indiana
The Hawkeyes are having a really tough year. They’re 3-3, with their only quality win coming against Iowa State. Their 3 losses have been by 1 point, 5 points and 3 points, respectively. They look like their always on the verge of being good. Indiana is 2-3, beating a couple of tomato cans and getting trimmed by their quality opponents. While Indiana played well at Minnesota last week, I think Iowa is ready for a breakout game.

Minnesota @ Illinois –12
Minnesota is coming off a reassuring 16-7 win at home. They’re a good team when they play well…and that’s not as goofy as it sounds. Illinois is a highly powerful team that can be devastating when they play well. Illinois is returning home after a big win at Michigan last week. They will be guarding against the letdown that so often follows a big win. I think that the Illini are ready to step up to the elite level that they and their fans so desperately covet. Pounding the crap out of Minnesota in front of an adoring home crowd is just what they need.

Michigan State @ Northwestern +2
I often shy away from betting the ‘Cats one way or another because I’m afraid I can’t see them objectively. This week, I think I can see clearly. They’re getting 2 points and they’re going to win this one straight up, no points needed. This one goes off @ 2:30.

Texas @ Oklahoma –7
Biggest game of the weekend, 5-0 Longhorns coming to tee it up with the 5-0, top ranked Sooners. Texas has won 3 of their games by identical 52-10 scores. Their season to date scoring is 252- 57. Oklahoma has cracked 50 three times themselves, and their season total is 248-69. The seven point spread has some home team points sprinkled in there. On strength of schedule, I think the Sooners can gitterdone. 11:00 a.m. on ABC.

Vanderbilt @ Mississippi State +2 ½
This one’s based on a couple of laws. The first is the “rare air” law. Vandy has run its record to 5-0, and I think they’re in a place that is very, very unfamiliar. That creates undue tension, which in turn creates, um, problems. The second law is “follow up”. After a big win, teams tend to lose focus. Last week, Vandy posted the biggest win they’ve had in many, many years. This week, I think that the convergence of the two laws is going to be more than the Commodores can overcome.

Penn State @ Wisconsin +5
Penn State cost me last weekend, not covering against Purdue. I don’t hold it ag’in ‘em. I do think they can be had. Wisconsin has thumped some good teams and lost to Michigan in the miracle game and Ohio State by just 3 points. I think that the Badgers at home plus the points will get the job done. Game time is 7:00 p.m. on CBS.

No comments: