Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Thank You, and Thank You for the Lesson, Too

HSHSQB got whacked and taught me just how kind people can be.

Translate, please.

My son, to whom I refer in certain circles as HSHSQB (Hot Shot High School Quarterback), took a vicious --and legal-- hit in the final minutes of his opening game this year. He's been hit hard before, he's landed in the ER before. We thought little of it. He continued to play for the next few days before confessing to the trainer (not to the parents, mind you) that he had a problem. Trainer sends kid to rehab place, rehab place says see doctor, doctor says big injury, kid gets scheduled for season ending surgery. Bang-bang-bang. And bang.

Between bang 3 and bang 4 is where the schooling began.

We have been fortunate to have avoided major injuries with the boy, and with the other kids before him, although the occasional guest author/daughter did run herself into a stress fracture as track athlete. A digression here, she has subsequently become a marathon runner, having completed the L.A. and now Chicago marathons, a feat which impresses me beyond expression.

Back at the current kid...after all the bangs, he, his mother and his father were all pretty bummed.

Then you started.

The things you have done have made such an impact on us, I can't thank you enough. Here's a partial list...
  • Jess, coming over, bringing movies, spending time, you are so sweet

  • Donna Kiewbawls, your selection of a birthday gift was inspired!

  • Theresa, my telephone confidant, reminding me that we're not alone

  • Linda, stopping by school, more than once, to offer concern and guidance, so appreciated
  • Bob, your concern and insight into what the kid's feeling, right on target
  • Patty, picking up the mom's spirits and concerned about the kid, we are so grateful
  • Tim, your understanding and support have been very, very important
  • ScottBob and Patty, you are special 'cause you make others feel that way
  • Laurie, thank you for coming by, come more often
  • Don, you called, out of the blue, and gave me peace of mind at a time when I really needed it
  • My co-workers, my business associates, so many of you from HRI, PPD, GE, Penske, Mesirow, Tony Sr and Tony Jr, Big Mike, and many others whom I cannot at this moment recall, your kindness and concern has been very important to me
  • The Mom's co-workers and all the teachers who've expressed support, it makes a difference, it really does
  • HSHSQB's teachers, each of whom responded with "whatever you need"
  • The boy's coaches, who made sure he stayed involved
  • Petey and Margaret, I simply cannot express how much we appreciate your friendship
  • Officer Tony, you are a peach
  • Dziadi i Buszi, kocham cie
  • Godmother and the kids, thank you

There's more, I'm sorry, I can't remember. You all collaborated, each with your independent actions, to teach me a lesson in how very kind, caring and compassionate people can be. I haven't been in this position before. Neither have I been pro-active towards others who have been there. That's the lesson you've taught me. Reach out.

Thank you for your kindness, and thank you for teaching me how important it is to reach out.

No comments: