Friday, October 17, 2008

Week 8 Will Be My Redemption!

It's the 8th week of this charade, and as a practicing numeroligist, I predict that I will lose one more than I win this week. That will take me from 7 under .500 after 7 weeks to 8 under after 8 weeks. Flawless numerology based logic, except that prediction is coming from a man who is 7 under .500.
In order to assure that I break the bad mojo, I have this week prognosticated eight results, thereby making the -8 impossible.

Unless there's a tie.


HAWAII +26½ @ BOISE STATE
Hawaii is 3-3, 1-2 on the road. Boise State is 5-0, 3-0 on the Smurf blue field on the western edge of Idaho. Popular opinion is that Hawaii is a fallen too far defending conference champion. Boise likes to run up the score at home. It's supposed to be pleasant weather on Saturday in Boise, so the Rainbows won't be worried about freezing to death. My guess is that Hawaii can stay within the spread.
CONNECTICUT +0 @ RUTGERS
This game is a pick-em. No points. Just pick a winner, like on the confidence pools. CT comes in with a 5-1 record. Rutgers, the state university of New Jersey, is 1-5. I pick Connecticut. They are the Huskies, by the way.
WISCONSIN +3½ @ IOWA
This is going to be a fun game to see. Wisconsin was included in reviews of the nation's power teams in the preseason. Iowa wasn't picked to do anything, and they haven't , though their fans have whined more than the transmission on my dad's old '63 BelAire. Iowa is 3-4; they beat the snot out of Indiana last week. Wisconsin is 3-3, they've lost 3 in a row (to Michigan, Ohio State and a pounding last week at home from Penn State). My choice is the Hawks at home, as the Badgers season flirts with train wreck stature.
USC -46@ WASHINGTON STATE
Yeah, yeah, here we go again with the giant point spreads. OK, so I'm an addict, of sorts. USC can score on anyone, anytime. On the other hand, the Cougars of Washington State have given up 66 points--TWICE!-- and 63 points another time. I think that the Trojans will work out on the Cougars, whom I have just heard described by a coaches panel as "inept". GO TROJANS!!!
PITTSBURGH –3 @ NAVY

Waaaanie, how I love ya, how I love ya, my dear old Waaanie...hell, I never get this guy right, but I'm coming back at him again. Stuttering Dave and the Panthers (my high school garage band's name, too) to prevail over the Middies. I think Pitt's played a tougher schedule, and Wannie will get his D ready to work on the Navy veer.
OHIO STATE –3½ @ MICHIGAN STATE
Both teams are 6-1 right now. This could be a breakout game for the MSU program. If it is, THE Ohio State University will be relegated to also ran status for the remainder of this season. Terrel and Beanie will carry the Bucks. Ohio State will win this game and cover.


TOLEDO @ NORTHERN ILLINOIS –7½
Toledo is coming off a historic win against Michigan in Ann Arbor last week. Northern is a good team. Toledo is 2-4, the Huskies are 3-3, 2-0 at home. I think the Rockets spent everything they had last week at Michigan, and a letdown is unavoidable. Take the Huskies.
MICHIGAN +24 @ PENN STATE
This is the other side of the coin, with Michigan coming off the worst loss imaginable, the first time a Michigan team has lost to a MAC team. Penn State beat the hell out of Wisconsin in Cheeseland last week. Michigan needs redemption. I don't think they'll win, but I think they'll stay within the spread here.
INDIANA @ ILLINOIS -16 1/2
Another MOWL pick (Mighty One Week Late). Indiana is going to visit Champaign and Coach Zook will have the Illini ready to rumble. Illinois in a rout.

No comments: